Tuesday, July 19, 2022

"... bruised, faintly lit, and clay..."



 bruised, faintly lit and clay

"A bruised reed he will not break,
And a smoldering wick he will not quench.."(1)
There are days the lighted wick is faintly burning
So how do we take it all in and this yearning
For health, and joy, and for children growing
The reed is bruised but not broken (2)

We hear words from the doctor spoken
The finitude of our lives, so hard at times, and so beautiful
The tension, the dimly burning wick not quenched
Looking up, the heat is on us,
Graciously He lifts our head when we lack
Faithfully, is our strength and stronghold

Bruised reed, to the world little purpose, flawed, of little use,
Struggling with doubt and fear, disheartened and ready to break. 
Christ’s tender, compassionate care comes alongside
Joy of the Lord, our strength and stronghold (3)

Clay on a wheel, unusable and flawed
I look down, to see clay, now being shaped, molded to the potter's liking (4)
Silhouette and shadow of mercy
I look up, listen closely, never will He forget (5)

I look down, head lowered, worry, pain, perplexing times,
I look up to “God, the Eternal One, who made the starry skies,
stretched them tight above and around; 
Who cast the shimmering globe of earth and filled it with life;
who gives breath and animates the people;" (6)

(bruised, faintly lit and clay, Glimpse poetry by Joe Holuta)



Footnotes:
(1) "What is bruised and bent, he will not break; he will not blow out a smoldering candle. Rather, he will faithfully turn his attention to doing justice. And though he faces obstacles, resistance, and great pressure, he will not crack; he will not give up until things are set right. Even the coastlands wait patiently for his instruction." Isaiah 42:3-4 - VOICE

(2)
 "a bruised reed he will not break, and a smoldering wick he will not quench.." Matt 12:20 ESV

(3)"And be not grieved and depressed, for the joy of the Lord is your strength and stronghold."        Nehemiah 8:10 AMP

(4) "So, I went down to the potter’s shop and found him making something on his wheel. And as I watched, the clay vessel in his hands became flawed and unusable. So the potter started again with the same clay. He crushed and squeezed and shaped it into another vessel that was to his liking. Jeremiah 18:3-4 VOICE

(5) Listen closely,and come even closer. My words will give life, for I will make a covenant with you that cannot be broken, a promise Of My enduring presence and support like I gave to David."
Isaiah 55:3

(6) What is bruised and bent, he will not break; he will not blow out a smoldering candle....God, the Eternal One, who made the starry skies, stretched them tight above and around; Who cast the shimmering globe of earth and filled it with life; who gives breath and animates the people; Who walks and talks with life-giving spirit has this to say: Eternal One: I am the Eternal One. By righteousness I have called you. I will take you by the hand and keep you safe. Isaiah 42:3.5-6 VOICE

No comments:

Post a Comment

Steady me

pc emily ann Steady me Kneeling down to hear  A faint and whispered cry  Reaching down and drew me up  Safely on a warm rock  Holding me unt...