Thursday, December 29, 2022

“...New Year’s Resolutions...”


New Year’s Resolutions 


The first letters make up the acrostic and the last letters the telestich ; in this case they are identical. A double acrostic (also known as shadow poetry). It not only spells a word with the letters at the beginning of its lines, but with letters at the very end of the lines as well.


New year, new hope, new endurance, once again a resolutioN


End the bitterness in my heart toward the past decades of moralizing pastoral “carE


Win at all costs no longer, but ask questions to better understand the why and hoW


Yield to God always, and to others close to me for they often chart the waY


Energize when “All your waves break over mE


Answer my deepest prayers in bittersweet times, and dilemmA


Recall and remember the loving-kindnesses through the yeaR


Surprise others with sincere interest, compassion, care, and kind wayS


Resolve to discipline my words, thoughts, and deeds; and to pause before I answeR


Eternal One, your mercy “moves in close”; this new year let me never forget the rescuE


Simplify my life, to lessen attachments to this world’s means, and wayS


Open my eyes to see the divide, and hunger for those things that echO


Lighten the load for family I love, and others that I meet, and help lighten the burdens of those who I rivaL


Understand the racial divide more fully, that which rends hearts and souls, and help me never to plateaU


Take time to walk more in nature than a year before, reset, rest and write in the foresT


Imagine new ways to honor, and give more away, imagine days and celebrations showered with confettI


Outreach to community, to after school kids- some first to see the inside of a church, all effects surpassing my reach toO


Notice those who seem invisible, or cast aside, to refresh and strengthen them agaiN


Sing to the Eternal of all the good things He’s done… broadcast the good news of His salvation, each and every day*- such good newS



New Year’s Resolutions, Glimpse poetry by Joe Holuta



*Psalm 96:2 Voice








1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing this creative and thoughtful poem for the new year. The images bring peace and highlight the good!

    ReplyDelete

Steady me

pc emily ann Steady me Kneeling down to hear  A faint and whispered cry  Reaching down and drew me up  Safely on a warm rock  Holding me unt...